Recipe of the Month - February 2011
Simple Black Beans
WAC Fun Food Fact
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
¾ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
½ teaspoon brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¾ cup water
2 (15-ounce) cans reduced-sodium black beans, undrained
1. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add onion and bell pepper to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in sugar, garlic, black pepper, and cumin; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4. Stir in ¾ cup water and beans; bring to a boil.
5. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently.
6. Remove from heat. Serve over rice, if desired.
Each Serving: 6 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)
Per Serving: Calories 128; Fat 3.6g (sat 0.3g); Protein 6.2g; Carb 23.3g; Fiber 7.6g; Iron 2.2mg; Sodium 294mg; Calcium 58mg