Recipe of the Month - June 2011
Lemon-Basil Pasta with Tomatoes
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli or other spiral-shaped pasta
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, tightly packed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons walnut pieces, finely ground
- 1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds, finely ground
- Fresh basil or parsley sprig
1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water according to package directions until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together lemon juice and zest, oil, basil, parsley, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste in bowl.
3. Stir in tomatoes.
4. Mix ground walnuts and sunflower seeds and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a separate bowl.
5. Drain the pasta; place in serving bowl. Toss with the nut mixture.
6. Stir the lemon-oil sauce again; mix into the pasta.
7. Garnish with a sprig of fresh basil or parsley.
Serves: Makes 4 servings
Per Serving: 310 calories, 11g fat (1g sat.), 0mg cholesterol, 47g carb, 11g protein, 301mg sodium, 6g fiber