Recipe of the Month - November 2011
Green Bean Casserole (Updated Classic)
WAC Fun Food Fact
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced button mushrooms
- 1/3 cup Madeira wine or dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup (about 2 ounces) canned fried onions (such as French's)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1) Preheat oven to 425°
2) Place beans into a large saucepan of boiling water; cook 4 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well. Place beans in a large bowl; set aside.
3) Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
4) Add onion and thyme to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
5) Add mushrooms; sauté 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently.
6) Stir in wine, salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
7) Stir in flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
8) Gradually stir in chicken broth; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until thick, stirring constantly.
9) Add mushroom mixture to green beans; toss well.
10) Place green bean mixture in a 2-quart glass/ceramic baking dish. Combine fried onions and grated cheese in a small bowl. Top green bean mixture evenly with fried onion mixture.
11) Bake at 425° for 17 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Per serving: 173 Calories, 8.5g Fat (2.3g sat), 6.6g Protein, 18.7g Carbohydrate, 5g Fiber, 249mg Sodium
From Cooking Light Magazine