Recipe of the Month - February 2012
Easy Braised Brisket
WAC Fun Food Fact
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1) Sprinkle brisket evenly with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
2) Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
3) Add brisket to pan; cook 10 minutes, browning on all sides.
4) Remove brisket from pan. Add onion and oregano to pan; sauté 3 minutes.
5) Return brisket to pan; add 1/2 cup water. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours.
6) Add olives and tomatoes; cover and cook 1 hour.
7) Remove brisket from pan. Let stand 5 minutes.
8) Cut brisket against grain into thin slices; return brisket slices to pan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 30 minutes.
Serves 8 (Serving size: about 3.5 ounces)
*Note: Try serving with Cauliflower-Potato Puree (recipe at kimthedietitian.com)
Per serving: Calories 224, Fat 7.3g (2.3g sat), Protein 31.4g, Carbohydrate 6g, Fiber 1g, Cholesterol 58mg, Iron 3.2mg, Sodium 557mg
From: Cooking Light