Recipe of the Month - March 2012
Asparagus with Shiitakes, Shallots, and Peas
WAC Fun Food Fact
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 shallots, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- Coarse salt
- Ground pepper
- 1 ˝ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 ˝ teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 medium thick asparagus bunches, tough ends removed, cut on diagonal into 2-inch lengths (2 pounds total)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1) In a large nonstick skillet with a lid, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until they begin to color, about 3 minutes.
2) Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, until mushrooms and shallots are tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
3) Transfer to a bowl. Add lemon zest and tarragon; toss to combine.
4) In the same skillet, bring 2 inches of water to a boil.
5) Add asparagus, season with salt, cover, and cook until asparagus is bright green and tender, 3 to 4 minutes (timing will vary depending upon thickness of asparagus).
6) Add peas to skillet, and then drain.
7) Transfer to bowl with the shallots and mushrooms, add lemon juice, and toss to combine.
Per Serving: Calories 98, Fat 5g, Protein 4g, Carb 11g, Fiber 3g