Recipe of the Month - July 2013Bourbon-Glazed Peaches with Yogurt
- 1 (2-inch) piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 51/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 firm, ripe peaches, halved and pitted
- Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into a medium bowl.
- Combine seeds, bean, yogurt, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, and a dash of salt. Let stand for 1 hour; discard bean.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, remaining dash of salt, bourbon, and vanilla extract in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add peaches; toss gently.
- Arrange peaches, cut side down, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Reserve sugar mixture.
- Bake peaches at 350° for 10 minutes. Turn peach halves over; drizzle cavities with reserved sugar mixture.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes or until just tender. Serve with yogurt and juices.
Makes 4 servings (Serving size: 2 peach halves with about ¼ cup yogurt). Per Serving: 201 calories, 1.8g fat (1g sat.), Protein 6.7g, Carb 36.4g, Fiber 2g, Sodium 87mg, Calcium 76mg.
WAC FUN FOOD FACT
This dessert relies on the sweetness of fresh peaches in season (July and August), creating a naturally healthier option. The yogurt is a lighter alternative to the usual whipped cream. It adds a little protein - and some probiotics as well!
Click to Download